Thursday, October 2, 2008

Spiritual Profiling: Your Profile

I have a system, but no one completely knows someone else's profile. Because it's a good system, it allows for privacy and dialogue. We can all improve in our openness to exploration, our concentration, understanding, appreciation, clarity, nonconceptual awareness, and sense of abiding. Because I'm not you, I don't know where you want to begin, what you're strongest and weakest in, how fast you want to and can go, etc. But I have studied the obstacles to this type of growth and also the types of training that make people strong and capable.

Rather than presenting myself as an expert on what anyone needs, I have tried to formulate an approach that allows disagreement and encourages criticism right from the beginning. I know, perhaps better than anyone, how much unfulfilled potential I have. That makes me both proud and humble. It also makes me open to improving everything I can about what I do. So I love criticism.

Rather than laying out any quick-fix techniques, I've worked to formulate a self-driven sense of lifelong development. Since I've still got more years to live, I'll be improving my approach as I go. I'm working on a questionnaire that breaks down the benefits one gets from various attentional abilities into about thirty questions or so. Each question wants two responses. The first is a rating from 1-10 on how important each benefit is. The second is a rating from 1-10 on how good you already believe you are at achieving that benefit. I'll post it when I get a chance.

Questions? Comments? Jokes?

No comments: