Thursday, October 9, 2008

Spiritual Profiling: the Questionnaire

The following is a relatively simple set of questions, but it may take some time to finish. This is more about what you want than where you have been, but history and experience are very important in being able to answer.

Answer each statement with a number between 1 and 10. There are two ways each question should be answered, so for each question, you will have two answers. You may want to note them something like "1a" and "1b". One of the statements is, "Peace is everything." The first response is to show how much you believe that fits you as you are or how much it fits life as it is. The second response is to rate how much you would like that to be so. (If peace means everything to you, but you don't always feel peaceful, your answers may be 1a:3, 1b:10.)

These questions are directed at measuring attentional abilities that can be defined in neurophysiological terms, cognitive science terms, and through various meditative traditions. Once we have a somewhat personal picture, we can direct that somewhat vague measurement towards specific personal progress. The attentional abilities I refer to are: exploration, concentration, relaxation, mindfulness, inspiration, harmony, and serenity. Although serenity seems more like a psychological state than an ability, attaining serenity is an ability that can be practiced and improved. So we can see that attention is important, but intention is also central. For those interested, a personal explanation of these abilities may be more helpful than a conceptual or abstract explanation.

Please feel free to write in comments concerning any individual item along with your answers for that item. At the end, if you like, tell me what you think of the questions as a group or what you felt might be missing.

Here are the questions.
1E. I laugh more than most people I know.

2N. As much as any emotional feeling, my internal experience is characterized by a sense of openness.

3U. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

4*. Peace is everything.

5A. I am able to multi-task without getting lost.

6C. I am inspired with the simple feeling and energy of being alive.

7P(R). I avoid thinking about anything that makes me uncomfortable.

8C. My heart and mind are clear.

9E. Fun is better than anything else in the world.

10A. I have a strong feeling that everything fits together even when I don't know how.

11U. During work and at the end of the day, I am able to stay relaxed when I choose.

12*. All action is done by God.

13C. I enjoy losing myself in difficult tasks that I am really good at.

14P. Once I make up my mind, that's how it is.

15N. I am always aware of a vast freedom in life.

16E. I love learning new things. People think of me like Curious George.

17P. Discipline is everything.

18*. A still mind is the greatest gift or possession.

19A. I am very aware of my own emotions and others' emotions without feeling overwhelmed by emotions.

20N. I can actually feel strongly that my soul is close to God. (Not applicable for anyone who does not believe in God.)

21U. It doesn't bother me to think about problems that are too new or too complicated for me to understand.

No comments: