Saturday, September 15, 2007

Rejection and Reluctance

With figuring out how to situate and work with bliss types of absorptive meditation, a few things came clear on rejection and reluctance. I've also been thinking a lot about translation, like how nonduality tends to be experienced at different stages. (I may eventually end up doing research on how to keep beginners happy with a sustained program of various types of meditation--now that I've done a reasonable job of facing my own reluctance around research and discipline, etc.) Anyway, I'm excited about doing a type of meditation where the focus is on what you (whoever) are capable of noticing. It's fun to experience how it begins with trying to imagine what might be going on, move into glimpses, and develop a fuller awareness. With as serious about it as so many folks have been, I've wondered whether or not to encourage other people in their own sense of humor, curiosity, and desire. I think, yes, aboslutely. It's crazy to see how this became somewhat of an overloaded question historically.

This essay is pretty much the extended punchline to the question, "How is conflict in the Middle East like potty training?" (Just breathe, son, don't clench.) Oh, and this sort of approach fits nicely with easing into agency and emotional openness around traumatization. I know at least Wade and I are familiar with how relaxation can open the door to sorrow and some other potent emotional experiences. It's amazing how much can be done by focusing on having a sense of confident and skillful agency in concentrating and relaxing.

http://mertzian.googlepages.com/rejectionandreluctance

No comments: